Thursday, July 26, 2012

"5 Reasons to Allow Students to Use Cell Phones in Class"

There has been tons of controversy in schools across the country when it comes to cell phones being used in the classroom.  There are a wide range of policies extending to the extremes, schools outright banning cell phones from school property (not just the classroom) to schools fully embracing the technology within the classroom.  I recently read the article 5 Reasons to Allow Students to Use Cell Phones in Class.  The article points out that school is there to help students get ready for the "real world" which usually means using technology on the job.  At some point, students need to learn how to use the technology that they have. 

While I like the idea of allowing students to use their cell phones to enhance their learning experiences, I am still very unsure of some of the issues that could result.  One of the biggest concerns for me is the distractions that can occur.  I can students abusing the privlage and using the time to text with friends in other classes (which then distracts them from their learning) and going onto Facebook.  It also concerns me that not every student has access to a smart phone.  Most school districts can't afford to supply students with smart phones.  While there can be ways around this, such as students pairing up, it is still a concern to me.  

1 comment:

  1. Equal access is also my biggest concern, since these gadgets have become an extension of personality, tech ability, as well as the ability to pay. As much as I think kids should be able to utilize smart phones in class, I recognize that few people--adults included--have the self discipline to ONLY use them for assigned tasks. One approach used successfully by one of my son's teachers was open usage once assignments were complete. However, I think kids who work more methodically would be bothered by that. It's a tough balance and one that probably can only be addressed according to the type of class and the students in it. The worst policy is when usage becomes a reward/punishment issue because it negates the value of what can be done educationally with it.

    ReplyDelete