Thursday, June 14, 2012

“Digital Learning Series.” : Project Based Learning: Explained.

I watched the video explaining project based learning.  Since math is the subject I teach, I always form my opinions based on this subject.  I really think something like this would be difficult to do on a regular basis in a math classroom.  With math, before you can apply your skills you need to learn all of the foundation skills leading up to a specific topic.  For example...If I were teaching my students about Pythagorean Theorem...I can't just have my kids go out and build a deck.  There are so many concepts that lead up to the pythagorean theorem that need to be taught in the classroom, and all of these skills need to be practiced.  I could see a PBL experience done maybe twice a year where you find something that encorporates a good amount of what you taught up to that point and has you apply those skills/concepts.

While I think this is a very difficult thing to do in math, I think that in classes like history, science, and even english classes this would be a very useful tool for students to use.  Students could research and learn about a specific part of the unit and then come back and teach the rest of their classmates what they have learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment