Thursday, June 14, 2012

TEDxPhilly – Chris Lehmann

I really enjoyed watching this video, and a lot of what he says is similar to what I think about education.  School is not just about learning certain facts, but it really is about preparing for the real world.  You are right...you may never need to solve a 5 step equation...but if we tell our students that the real reason they are learning how to solve a 5 step equation is because it teaches them how to combine and apply concepts then students may be more willing to put forth effort.  I try to be honest with my students, when they ask why I give homework...I tell them I give it to them for two reasons:  1) to reinforce the lesson taught that day.  I strongly believe that you need to practice math in order to fully retain the skills.  2) I tell my students that completing homework assignments teaches you how to organize your time wisely.  It teaches you how to be productive and work with a schedule. 

Being in school shouldn't be boring, but until we can get all teachers, students and administrators on board, it will be difficult to truely advance education beyond the "assembly line" type education system we have now.  There will definitely be times where you have to sit down and have a "boring" class.  Students do need to learn to take notes, students do need to learn to listen to someone and take in information.  But, if we can add in meaningful lessons that connect learning to the real world, then I think we will be more likely to "hook" kids on the education process.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    Being open and honest with your students goes a long way to building a safe, respectful environment. Students then can take risks and learn from failures. Keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete